Sunday 12 May 2013

When I was growing up, the unspoken philosophy of Egyptian society was “this is how it is.” As an Egyptian living overseas, I was constantly exposed to the sickening caste system and the chasm it created between the rich and the poor. While many Egyptians struggled to make ends meet, others drowned in luxuries like Lexus cars and ski trips to Switzerland. Whenever a naive child, not yet touched by life’s cruelty, asked, “Why?”, the response came as mechanically as if it were programmed: “Because this is how it is.”

Finally, a miracle happened. Yes, you guessed right- the 25th January revolution. The Egyptian citizens, who had till now boasted of a remarkable, record-breaking history of being ignorant and enduring whatever may be the circumstances they were subjected to, erupted in a wild yet civilized rage.

To me, an upper-class thirteen-year-old on vacation in Egypt, the revolution seemed irrelevant, and I tried to steer clear of any discussions or debates about it. I suppose it was not because of carelessness but rather to avoid seeming like I knew nothing about why the demonstrations were happening. Eventually, though, I made a decision that changed my life forever—I decided to go to Tahrir Square, the heart of the Egyptian revolution, not to support demonstrations but to understand what was going on. Although it met with great opposition from everyone I knew, I doggedly pursued the plan, and the story unraveled before my eyes in a way I could never have imagined possible.

Slowly, I started to develop a sense of gratitude towards things that I earlier saw as ‘Basic’ or ‘Normal’. The real concept behind all the community work I did unfolded and a sense of loyalty suddenly sprang up within me. It was like I finally saw the light.

Indeed, my intuitive decision did not fail me even for a second. The blurry, vague image in my mind cleared as I understood who I am, which I believe is the first step towards understanding who I want to be in this world. It was an experience like no other. The one place where you can say whatever you want without being subjected to the prejudice that had till now defined my society.

I found myself standing next to a black woman with a ragged ‘abbaya’ (common Muslim, female dress in Middle East), a young adult dressed up in designer clothes, a barefoot teen who just couldn’t afford shoes, and an old lady wearing the Christian Cross around her neck. A feeling of immense peace and security swept over me as I realized that in this place, when I fall someone or the other will bend down and help me up. Here, you could look past the differences straight into the similarities… One Heart, Two Lungs…We’re all fighting for the same cause. Not a particular political or religious affiliation but simply requesting the basis of humanity. ‘Democracy, Liberty and Social Equality’.

We were not asking for a lot. Nobody was demanding to be moved from rags to riches. We just want to feel that we have an identity, that we’re not puppets in a tyrant’s deceptive political ploy. After this experience, I realized that what was foreign to us was not always bad. In this case, it was a blessing in disguise!

I’m pretty sure many things have changed for the better, and even more haven’t, but at least now, when a little kid asks about the reason behind the mess we’re in, the response won’t be, ‘This is how it is’.

- Adam Ashraf 
New York idolizing, art loving, wannabe author.

The Arab Spring may have become old news for many, but HASH doesn't want to be disadvantaged by an insignificant time-delay. Some of the world's best, most beautiful and timeless literature, stories, art and creativity was born in times of war and uncertainty...then why should today be any different? This piece reminded us of the power of something as seemingly simplistic as the written word in conveying a story, delivering a message, evoking the deepest depths of human consciousness and emotion at a time that shall go down in history as one of the most defining of our era.

So, what's your Spring story? Your experience of war and awakening, conflict, confusion, chaos and rediscovery? Get in touch. Let's share it with the rest of the world.


0 comments :

Post a Comment