Tuesday 7 May 2013

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once” –Albert Einstein 


Frozen Time by Qiang Huang

Time has endless definitions and meanings, but it has only one use, to measure. Time is seconds, hours, breaths, heartbeats, moon’s phases; you can use any unit for it, but its sole purpose is to organize our lives, to schedule them, and we are forever bound together in an hourglass from where we can’t escape but keep on drowning in the sand until we can’t breathe anymore. Time doesn’t make the world go round, but it helps keep chaos off the world’s face. If it weren’t for time, our history would be a jumble and our present lives even more so. So though time may be freedom diminishing, it is immensely essential.

I’d like to go back in time. Not by a couple of days or years, but centuries, millennia. If time was in my grasp I would travel to and fro from the glittering ball gowns of the Victorian era to the scorching hot deserts of Arabia, and witness every occurrence I ever pondered about and meet every person in whose curious life I was interested in. The person I’d like to meet first and foremost would be, without a doubt, Albert Einstein. A man of peculiar abilities and unusual methods who defied the definition of a scientist, because though a scientist is a person who experiments, he never did an experiment his whole life, but rather proved his theories based on a rather complicating series of calculations. He untapped the potential of the human brain like no average human had ever done before, and his normal yet powerful logic brought great discoveries and the equation E = mc2 (the theory of relativity) which is a beauty in itself. Along with him, I’d like to meet Sir Isaac Newton too. Both these scientists are my chief inspirations. Though I am no resident genius of physics, it is a marvel to find out the natural mechanisms behind the simplest actions. What will be better, than to be an apprentice to these legends, to be a part of their life-changing discoveries?

There is no one event or occurrence that holds the place of the top shelf for me. In fact, there are many incidents that I’d like to encounter, some great, some minor, but important just the same. Many points in history whose mere existence I doubt, and taking the advantage of today’s technology, I’d like to record those miraculous occasions in a camera. If we could change the past, then we could stop the numerous wars which resulted in outrageous amounts of deaths. But how many wars? How many disputes? How many invasions? We’d like to omit the fact that our history has been written with blood, innocent and guilty, but it has. The world map, ever-changing, was implemented through treachery, murder and other appalling sins committed to gain control and power, but no one ever did, though Hitler, Attila the Hun and Alexander the Great are the closest names to this title, and their ways? No cleaner than a chimney sweeper’s brush.

If we did change the past, would our present be any calmer? But many would despute and say that fate and destiny would prevent things from happening any other way than they already did. So, what would be the notion of time machines if they’d bring good to no one? So many secrets to unveil, so many mysteries to solve, I could spend a lifetime voyaging the past and never live the` life entitled to me.

Though sixteen years is nothing to boast about, I’ve learned and matured every step of it. If I had to go back... well I wouldn’t. I don’t want to alter anything about my past, because that would change the person I am today, and every experience I’ve had, whether good or bad, whether accompanied by laughter or tears, was a solid foundation of my personality. If I would, I’d go and relive my childhood, the days of carelessness and carefree attitudes, when we were so intent on growing up we never realized how much we would miss those days, where endless accidents would happen and be shrugged off, and dancing princesses and a cat chasing a mouse were enough for our entertainment. Life with no obligations, no boundaries, no responsibilities. Hakuna Matata.

-Asma Sohail-
Aspiring Neurologist. Book Freak, Cat Lover.
(Also potentially unhinged for wanting to do nothing more with a time machine than meet Albert Einstein. Like really, Asma?
PS- Love from HASH)



1 comment :