Sunday 21 July 2013

Dumb people walking in slow motion surround me, they remind me of stranded sheep. I throw away the dirty cloth I used to clean the dried blood off my custom-made baseball bat that had nearly 127 one-inch nails attached to it…pure beauty. It did take a while to do that though; I should probably use Dettol next time. I lift the loose-hanging bandanna around my neck to cover my nose, eyes and chin, then I tighten it firmly.

The electric guitar intro starts; I lunge through the Brain-Dead crowd and start bashing heads with this beautiful instrument of mine, perfectly timing it with the beat of the drums. I keep swinging and bludgeoning, pouring all my imprisoned, suppressed rage on them. I enjoyed every moment of it, the music is so loud! The drums are smashing hard; the electric guitar is playing so fast, it's insane! Pure madness!

I'm hitting so savagely now, as if I'm possessed by Satan himself. I start laughing uncontrollably, quickly getting hysterical, until I'm interrupted by the abrupt pause in the music and then a calm, tranquil song plays; I stand confused for a fraction of a second, before I'm snapped back to reality in my normal school uniform sitting peacefully on a bench alone, with my headphones on, while the students go to and fro in all directions just before they leave school. The song is still playing. I look down at the source of music in my hand, which is my phone, and read the name on the screen…"Mum".

"Yeah, Mum?" I answer.

"I'm not going to pick you up after school today, take a cab and come home, okay?"

"Sure, see ya", and I hang up the phone, to find the same dirty cloth I used to clean my bat in the other hand; I sigh and think to myself, "I seriously need to see a doctor.", then I throw the cloth away and blend into the crowd, resisting the slight urge to smash the face of a student with a forceful punch, until I make it out of the school of the school gates and find my way home.


"Upon writing this small story, I've reflected upon my dark, dreadful days in my old school. Back then I had a very chaotic, rash mentality; since it has been a very morose period of my life. I've always had violent thoughts, and had almost no friends preferring solitude. I've always looked at things from one perspective; making me miss out on a lot of things…

But, after revolting on my previous lifestyle, I've thought about temporarily resurrecting it, and try to write about how I've really been like back then. I guess that's what I got…"

- Nader Mohamed Ghoneim


0 comments :

Post a Comment