Friday 12 July 2013

Summer… it’s that amazing time of the year when we get to embrace the hobbies that we barely get to practice year-long, well at least, for people who are too lazy to get a job, like me. Earlier this week, as I got to reading The Phantom of the Opera for the third time around, my father pulled a little intervention on me to force me out of my profound introversion. We ended up visiting my great-aunt, a Turk of sixty-something who was born and raised in Egypt and has come to know me as the toddler she babysat fifteen years ago when my parents went out on date night.

A long conversation with her got me pondering about choices, opportunities and determination. The result is this article. As a celebration of ‘Show, don't tell’, here is her story in her own words.

“I was born in 1951 on the outskirts of Cairo to a rich family, a family of circus performers.  My father was a clown; my mother used to hang on the aerial trapeze, my uncle was a juggler and grandpa was the ring master. We were rich, but lacked intellect. Many members of the family were illiterate. Cursing, abandoning kids for careers and more was common within us. Our family was the sort who had it all easy. I never fit in the scene. I always felt like I was on the fringe and a feeling of self-hatred built up within me. When I hit puberty, a time at which we start getting trained for a life in the circus, our family was shocked to find how clumsy I was. I lacked acrobatic skills and I could barely jump the rope. I suppose it had something to do with the fact that I was subconsciously unwilling.

Being the disappointment that my father saw in me, I was sent to live with a distant aunt who didn’t engage in the family business. Until this point, I had received not just enough education to make me functionally illiterate, but my craving for intellect was strong. That didn’t change the fact that I was destined for illiteracy. I there met her homeschooled son, who was my age too. Since my father never paid my aunt to hire me a tutor, I didn’t have the opportunity to share his but the first day I saw a tutor walk in, I saw an opportunity so I listened at the door.

Over the next couple of weeks, I saved my dismal allowance to buy books that would prepare me for the checkpoint examination done in sixth grade, through which I could go to high school. Back then, attending school up to sixth grade wasn’t required to take the checkpoint examination. I would listen at the door to the tutor everyday and spend all night studying. I ended up passing the test with a higher score then the boy who had all the opportunity in the world.

I finished high school and went to Law School; back then higher education was free. I graduated and worked for the government until I retired two years ago after getting my Masters and climbing the career ladder up to the position of undersecretary.”



Source: Unknown

After listening to this, I was struck. I couldn’t help but wonder, where would this woman be had she had my share of luck growing up in a decent society, studying in a lavish school where my biggest worry was whether I can afford an iPad soon? It got me to look at life from a new perspective. Shouldn’t I prove to the world that I deserve the lifestyle I was blessed with?

This story will definitely remain with me for life as it stands as a beacon of hope when hope is shattered and represents a quote I have always cherished, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way”. So the next time you think your upcoming SAT, sports game or interview, will be challenging, think of her, then think again!

-Adam Ashraf

Catch more of Adam's random, insightful ramblings on his column 'Adam's Ecstasy'. You may also write back your thoughts and reflections directly to him at adamashraf97@hotmail.com.


1 comment :

  1. Adam, thanks for this inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete